*Editor’s Note: This is our final home game of the ’08-’09 season, and likely our final edition of Dawg Pack Dirt for the year. On a personal level, I just want to say that when I started doing the Dirt back in 2004, I never envisioned that it would become as popular as it has. When I left the Dawg Pack in 2007, I wasn’t sure if these info sheets would keep being produced. This year, however, Nate and Aaron have stepped up to the challenge and taken the Dirt to another level. I challenge any school in the country to come up with a better gameday info sheet on the opponent than we do. If you’re a Husky fan, you can thank guys like Nate and Aaron for helping bring the Dawg Pack alive each game and spreading the infectious atmosphere throughout Hec Ed. We truly have one of the best home-court advantages in the nation, and a ton of that credit goes to these two guys for helping spark that. Great work, guys
Volume 5, Issue 20, Washington State University, March 7th, 2009
By Nate Taggart and Aaron Bean
Here we go guys, one more W and we win the Pac-10 outright! Not only is this game huge because of the Pac-10 title, but it’s also against our rival, Wazzu. It’s our last home game of the year and we need to leave a lasting impression on our team that they can carry on to the Pac-10 and NCAA Tournaments. The Dawg Pack has come a very long way this season and in the words of Coach Romar, “Willed us to victory.” So let’s end this home season right and take back our city. We haven’t beaten the Cougs in Seattle for three consecutive years now, it’s time. Come early, be loud, stay late, and wear purple!
Also, its senior night, so anything you want to do to show your appreciation for our three seniors, do it. Artem Wallace has been a guy who has done anything asked of him and even though his playing time has dramatically decreased this season, he still works hard. Justin Dentmon had a great freshman season, then a couple down seasons, but this season has been amazing and shows that his hard work in the off-season has paid off. And then there is Big Jon Brockman. We couldn’t have asked for a harder working big man, who just goes out there and plays like it’s his last game, every game. He will go down as one of the best to put on a Husky basketball uniform.
-Washington State Cougars at Washington Huskies
-Saturday, March 7th, 2009 at 2:30 p.m. PST
-Bank of America Arena at Hec Edmundson Pavilion
– Washington State (16-13 overall and 8-9 Pac 10) had a rough start to the Pac-10 season, but has been on a roll lately, winning three in a row against UCLA on the road, and then sweeping the Arizona schools.
– In our first meeting this season, it was a two-point game at halftime, but we ran away with it in the second half, winning the game by the score of 68-48.
-WSU head coach Tony Bennett likes attention so he makes a point of acknowledging the fact that he doesn’t wear a tie except on senior day. He also strikes most people as a major tool.
– Sr. #24 F Ryan Bailey has only played in a total of two games this season which is why there isn’t really anything of note on him, but I wanted to pass along this pretty funny quote from Dick Bennett about Oregon basketball that appears on Bailey’s profile: “On makes, misses and turnovers they will hit you faster than a downwind fart!”
– Sr. #11 C Aron Baynes has a couple of quotes from Tony Bennett which state: “Aron you’re nothing but a BIG BOOB” and “Aron you look like a bear with a sore arse, out there.” It has also been noted that he runs like a “pixie sprite”. Wrist upturned and everything. Many would call it a prance more than a run. Enjoy this picture of Sr. G Taylor Rochestie and Baynes getting their snuggle on.
– Fr. #23 PF DeAngelo Casto’s #1 favorite movie is P.S. I Love You, with How To Lose A Guy In 10 Days at number 3. Also, he says he doesn’t read which might have helped Bennett in recruiting him to WSU.
– Sr. #52 F Caleb Forrest: Once Robbie Cowgill left Wazzu last year, we didn’t think that anyone could fill the void left on the all-Pac-10 ugly team, but sure enough, Caleb filled that void beautifully. Also, he says that he loves to do redneck things and there is a group on Facebook called “Caleb ‘Make it Rain’ Forrest.” We aren’t too sure about that title, but we do know that he knows how to throw a slap…well, his slaps don’t land very hard and they are closed-fisted, but the force he puts on them are equal to most slaps we have seen. Watch him hit Darnell Gant with a thug punch to the back of the head from the last time our team’s met (the hit happens at about the 8 second mark):
-Sr. #32 F Daven Harmeling enjoys scrutinizing airline safety information cards, observing old people, watching Cowgill’s reaction to injuries, and watching Lodwick hit his 3 wood. He is apparently widely regarded as the best Super Mario Kart player in the world. He hates waiters that try to impress you by not writing down your order only to mess it up. He has issues with reality shows and girls that wear huge sunglasses. He also claims that nobody on this continent could beat him at an otter pop eating contest.
-Fr. #1 SG Klay Thompson wishes he was better at NCAA Football ’09 because his buddy, Nick, beats him every time they play. So if you have any tips for him, just yell them at him. Also, he is having a tough time with his General Studies 110 essay that’s due on Friday…we should ask him how it went.
-Sr. #10 G Taylor Rochestie resembles a certain character from the movie Superbad, but he likes that reference a little too much, so we figure we won’t make fun of him for that. His profile is pretty bare, but he is part of the prestigious Edward R. Morrow School of Communication so he should be proud. Let’s pray to God that he is better at communicating than Jason Gesser… Then again, the McLovin thing is funny regardless of if he likes it or not.